Saturday, January 7, 2012

Boring Christians

(simple "still life" in my room)

Ever felt like a boring Christian?  I don't necessarily mean feeling like your devotions are boring or as if worship is boring or things like that; I mean feeling like you are boring.  You haven't gone on six mission trips this year; you don't head up a dozen ministry opportunities in your community.  Perhaps you don't have any impressive spiritual New Year's resolutions, or maybe you did have them but they've already collapsed.  Fill in the blank for yourself.

I feel that way sometimes.  College doesn't help; at least it didn't last semester.  There's simply too much to do, and too little time to do it in, and I look at other people and think, why can't I do what you're doing?  Why can't I leave in the middle of the semester to spend a year helping a doctor in Africa?  Why can't I go on an evangelistic trip to Colombia?  That's exciting and people will respect it; at least, some of them will.

Then today I read this article .  And so much what I needed to hear as I'm dreading going into school and wishing I could just quit college right now. 

". . .[A]n untested 20-something without the work ethic required for completing the annoying accounting project or the boring research paper will likely be of little help in dire situations overseas. Those assignments can actually be effective training for the arduous labors of missional service."

Because once you get there, anywhere will become boring, whether it's down the road or across the ocean.  Perhaps it isn't so much that we should be boring as that God gives us the power to be extraordinary in boring circumstances.  So that even if others think we/our lives are "boring," we know better, and He knows better.

Don't know about you, but that's encouraging to me.

No comments: