Saturday, January 14, 2012

Verses & Tips, Week 3

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."  (Psalm 119:11)

Want to be sinless?  To have a built-in guard against bad thoughts and actions?  Then hide God's Word in your heart!  I don't believe that memorizing is the only way to do this; in fact, if you just memorize the Bible like you'd memorize science definitions in grade school, it won't do you very much good.  But if you actually hide it in your heart--think of moving all the junk out of a corner of your closet, tucking in a Christmas present, and carefully covering it back up--then the Word of God is the most powerful weapon against sin and Satan.

This week my theme for memorization is God's all-knowing nature.  Again, I'm looking forward to great verses to hide in my heart!  Here's what I'm memorizing:
  • Sunday--Psalm 44:21: "Would not God search this out?  For He knows the secrets of the heart."
  • Monday--Nahum 1:7: "The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows those who trust in Him."
  • Tuesday--Daniel 2:22: "He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with Him."
  • Wednesday--2 Timothy 2:19: "Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: 'The Lord knows those who are His,' and, 'Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.'
  • Thursday--Psalm 37:18: "The LORD knows the days of the upright, and their inheritance shall be forever."
  • Friday--Job 23:10: "But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold."
  • Saturday--1 John 3:20: "For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things."
Want another tip for what to do with that blank space?  Draw pictures!  I don't have a picture of said idea, but I will try to post one soon.  Draw stick figures, simple sketches, whatever works to trigger your memory regarding the verse.  You could even combine letters and drawings to create a little "puzzle" that helps you remember the verse.  Happy memorizing!

No comments: