Friday, January 6, 2012

My Favorite Verse This Week

(waterfall in Wyoming)

Thought I would share my favorite memory verse from this week! :)  It's the very first one; I learned it on Sunday.

"To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:...
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance."  (Ecclesiastes 3:1,4)

These things are just good to remember sometimes.  Even as Christians, we don't have to be laughing and dancing all the time.  There is "a time for every purpose under heaven," even being sad.  I shouldn't feel somehow "less Christian" just because I'm not gleefully happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating pessimism or being gloomy all the time.  As Christians, we have plenty of reasons to be happy!  And we can rejoice in God and His Gift to us, Jesus Christ, even when the worst things happen.

"11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."  (Matthew 5:11, 12)

On the other hand, just a few verses up in that same chapter, Jesus reminds us:

  " 4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted."
(Matthew 5:4)

As Ecclesiastes reminds us, God calls us to a balanced life.  Cry when it's time to cry; rejoice when it's time to rejoice.  But whether I'm happy or sad, I can always remember that He is there for me and I can trust Him no matter what is happening or has happened or is going to happen.  That's good news!

No comments: