Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Beginning?

Almost two years ago I went to Peru.

That was a life-changing trip.  I decided I wanted to go back, one way or another, someday (if, of course, God guided me there).

Last summer I had the opportunity.  Or at least, I thought I did.  It was the perfect place, the perfect slot for my abilities, multi-media work for a nonprofit organization--exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

But it didn't work.  God closed the door quite firmly.

Then, in the middle of this school year, I had another opportunity.  Even better, for my new major of elementary education--teaching school, using my Spanish skills, similar place to the one I knew I loved, still in Peru.

That didn't work either.  Another door in my face.

Finally I made a last e-mail to another organization--one with no roots in Peru whatsoever--telling God that "this would be a really easy door for You to shut," just in case He didn't realize that.  I didn't really want to go there, not because I thought it was a bad organization or because I didn't think I'd like the work; just because I'd decided I didn't want to go anywhere next year.

They e-mailed back.  I could go to the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, or El Salvador.  Now applications are flying and forms passed out and things are moving.  And I'm scared.  If this is a beginning, what am I starting?

I talked to a dear TCK friend today and asked what they thought.  "Pray about it," they said, "and God will work out the details."

Good reminder.  If God doesn't want me in Guatemala (my current first choice), then He's already shown that He can close the doors.  If He does want me there, I don't want to be anywhere else!

No comments: