Wednesday, December 7, 2011

All the Children of the World...

"Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
All are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world."

I'm thinking tonight how strange it is that, growing up, my favorite song was "All the Children of the World."  Granted, some of it was because I could never figure out what race a "yellow" child belonged to. . . I knew Native Americans used to be called "red men," and I knew I was white and there were other people who were black, but yellow?  I'd never seen a person whose skin tone was anything close to yellow!

The really amusing thing is that I grew up on the West Coast of California, in Pacific Union College, around hundreds of Asian students.  The joys of being a child and hardly recognizing race!  (I still haven't seen a healthy person whose skin I would really call yellow!)

I guess that would still be my favorite Christian kids' song, though.  Partly because I've grown up to love kids, and partly because I've grown up to love cultures and races and different people groups.  I wonder if God put that in my heart from the very beginning.  I wonder how He's going to use it now!

No comments: