Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Broken Hearts

A month or so ago I was sitting in church listening to a very good sermon and the pastor said something I think I'll never forget.

"He [Jesus] died of a broken heart so that we might live with broken hearts."

What is our greatest sin?  Pastor went on to say.  What is the sin of the world?  Could it be that we do not have broken hearts for the lost?  Could it be that our eyes are blinded so that we can't see as God sees?  Could it be that we hardly care whether souls are lost around us?

Could it be that Jesus died, in part if not in whole, so that my heart could be changed and then broken for His lost children?  I'm not arguing that Jesus died so that my sin could be forgiven, but if sin is defined as not living up to God's standard, isn't it a rather major problem if I don't have His broken heart for the lost? 

I still don't know where I'm going to be next year.  But wherever I am, I want to put this principle into action.  Lord, give me Your heart for the lost!

No comments: