Sunday, July 10, 2011

In Service

I listen to these really old songs every now and again. :) And the other day it was Steve Green--an old album my parents have had as long as I can remember. But it has some really good songs on it. This one caught my eye:

“I wanna hear You say, ‘Well done’
I wanna be a pleasing sight
I wanna shine a holy light
When I tell them about You
How will they believe the truth?

"Go and find your neighbor
Find a friend in need
Go and find the widow
With a hungry child to feed
When you help the helpless
That is true Christianity.
Whatever you’ve done to the least of these,
You have done it unto Me.”

Got me thinking. Service is way more important than just an added-on “nice thing to do.” It’s what shows whether we’re really God’s, or whether we’ve adopted the ways of the world and its ruling power. We’re saved by grace--that’s as true as ever. But the Bible also makes it quite clear that Christians act according to their name.

We’re to act like Jesus. Would Jesus pass by one of His followers who needed something badly? Would He pass by a “stranger” who needed something?

“If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?” (James 2:15-16, NKJV)

For family worship a few weeks ago, we studied the parable of the Good Samaritan. As Christians today, who are we passing by? Who are the outcasts we’re ignoring? Who are we judging--if not aloud, then by our actions, the way we glance sideways or don’t look at all, our purposeful ignoring? Don’t tell me we don’t do it. One of non-churchgoers’ first complaints against Christians is that we’re judgmental. There has to be something to that accusation if so many people feel that way. How can we lead anyone to Jesus if they believe that He’s like they see us--insisting that they be perfect before He’ll accept them?

Who are we to say that we’re better than they are? Is it more righteous to put on a front and look perfect? God sees through it all--every last sin, no matter how minute it may seem to us, is disgusting and filthy to His perfect eyes.

I’d like to challenge you to join me in asking God to give us His heart. Has it ever struck you that it’s God’s heart we really need--and He promises it to us? Why don’t we ask more for His viewpoint on others? Think of the people we could reach! Will you join me in asking God for His heart of love toward others...especially the outcasts and “non-perfect people” we so often ignore or judge?

And while you're at it, please go over to Melanie's blog and check out the ministry she's starting. I'm thinking very hard about joining--if I weren't already going to be getting up at 4:30 for work this coming school year, I'd be there. Think I might anyways. Will you join us?

No comments: