Thursday, June 7, 2012

wisdom

(lupine in Wyoming)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot)

What am I giving up today?  What are you giving up?  Is it what we think of usually--money, time, maybe the thrill of an in-and-out relationship or the prestige of a well-paying future (or current) career?  Or is it something more common--

pride of thinking you're better than another
choice to go where you know God hasn't called
old hurts
refusal to accept God's grace and forgiveness as meant for you
fill in the blank

Yet, what are we gaining?  
These things we hold onto, they will disappear.
What He offers, just for the taking, it stays forever.  
Forever.  
Only a fool says no to that. 

1 comment:

Dakota said...

That quote by Jim Elliot is one of my favorites. So often we consume ourselves with temporal things, even as Christians, while forgetting that God is calling us to greater heights in Him where none of those things matter. Thanks for the reminder to stay on track!

And in case you were wondering, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-suring. I just added myself as a follower and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional blog as well.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota - A Look at Life from a Deerstand