Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why?

(big old tree on a hike in the Appalachian mountains last fall)

Last fall we went up to a local apple orchard with some friends. What a beautiful fall day! Even though I hate being cold, I can't help but love fall! It's so cozy and warm and brings back such good memories.

On the way back home (with lots of apples and some "rainbow" popcorn) we passed a church with a little "saying" on its sign. I enjoy these aphorisms in general, but this one really caught my eye...and not exactly in a good way either. In bold black letters it proclaimed: SHARING THE GOSPEL BECAUSE OF GOD'S ANGER.

I admit to being a little shocked. Sharing the gospel...the "good news"...because of God's anger? Is that the best reason for witnessing!?! Is that even a good reason for sharing who we are--however we choose to share? If what we're sharing is innately "good news," do we even need another reason to share it?

But then I started thinking. To spread things out a little (because I don't go around all day consciously witnessing) why am I serving God and others in the ways that I am? Why are all of us? Some of us are homeschooled teens like myself, others stay-at-home daughters, others stay-at-home moms, others working at various jobs...I don't know who you all are. But why are we doing what we're doing? Is it because we're afraid, consciously or not, of what will happen if we don't do it? Or is it because we're in love with Jesus and convinced that His plan for our lives--and the lives of others--is beyond our wildest best dreams?

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Tim. 1:7) Just something to think on.

No comments: